« VACATION | Main

June 18, 2008

This Is Amazing!

Looks like the end of an era for me! :( AWWWWWW! I know I am supposed to be on vacation but after receiving this cease and desist letter... I dunno, I just HAD to share! It appears that after eight years of touring and playing shows with my faux LV guitar straps (which were a gift), Louis Vuitton have decided that they have a problem with it and have made it clear that they will sue me if I continue to use them. I was shocked by the tone in their letter. So heavy and serious!!!! Lighten up guys! My favorite line in the letter is this: "We have no doubt that this copying has been willful and is intended to trade upon the fame and cachet of the LV Trademarks to elevate the status of the infringing Guitar Strap, and of Jane's Addiction." Sure I have enjoyed the LV brand for years and years. I own many items such as luggage, belts, wallets, boots and clothing that bear the LV name. Hell, my gym bag is even a LV bag. So they make great stuff. No Doubt. Is it great enough to elevate the status of Jane's Addiction? I mean, are they fucking kidding me? Has anybody EVER purchased a concert ticket or an album based on what is hanging around the guitar player's neck? Ever? "Hey! So and so is playing tonight. Wanna go?" "Nah, I hate those guys." "Yeah, but have you seen the guitar straps they use? Pretty spectacular!" "Really? Why, yes. In that case I would love to attend and pay my hard earned wages in exchange for a rock and roll musical review down at the theater this evening."
OK. I am getting carried away! I guess if they just called me up and said, "Hey, could you not use those straps anymore for the following reasons... etc.?" it wouldn't be such a ridiculous deal but the whole "Exhibit A" thing combined with their legal tone was just ludicrous enough to make me post the document here! Tom Ford... Any interest in making guitar straps?

June 18, 2008 09:07 PM

Comments

This falls under the ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME list for sure! They should be flattered. ;o)
I'm sure the profit margin is suffering because you sport faux LV guitar straps. How much you wanna bet...their marketing team and designers are behind closed doors cranking out REAL LV guitar straps ideas right now!

Posted by: zoodishbu [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 19, 2008 07:18 AM

Hey Dave;

Holy Gene Simmons!
Mad Magazine once did a spoof on Charlie Brown where he became a prick of sorts and threatened to sue Planter's Peanuts.
Now watch my video.

Posted by: TheOtherDave [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 19, 2008 07:56 AM

That is unreal, how completely fucking bonkers. Get over themselves somewhat??? Won't it piss you off now every time you look at your LV stuff?
They could have been nice assholes! I'm really sorry they did that to you, very snotty of them.
(You're slipping with the emoticons lol..)
Enjoy the rest of the Vac.
xoxox

Posted by: vixen [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 19, 2008 07:59 AM

Hey Dave. It’s pretty weak that LV is doing that. But, in the chaos I see an opportunity - for me. How about selling me that old strap, which you now technically can’t use. I’m not going to flip it for a profit. Nope, I’m just a fan that has admired that strap for several years now at numerous Jane’s, CF and Panic Channel shows. In fact, I’m pretty sure I complimented you on it several years ago. If you don’t like that idea, auction it off for charity, just give me a head’s up where and when it will be available. Again, sorry that those LV folks are being such a-holes and you have to suffers some for it.

Thanks in advance for your consideration,

Rob

P.S. - any hints on the upcoming CF benefit thing at the Viper Room? I'm jonesin' after the full month of Roxy shows and then nothing.

Posted by: Crazy Bee [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 19, 2008 09:16 AM

ps: I'm still stuck on the fact that they have "no doubt" (that you were wearing them to "elevate the status of Janes"). They have NO doubt that was your intent / reasoning???!!! What exactly do they doubt then?? xoxox

Posted by: vixen [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 19, 2008 09:53 AM

Damn... are you serious?! Over here using LV to elevate the status of Jane's.... now that's the best marketing idea I've ever heard! Talk about egotistical assholes. After seeing that, are you still crazy about their products?

Funny thing is, my friend and I were discussing you and your guitar playing yesterday and he was wondering what kind of gear do you use because he wants to get a sound similar to yours and of course I said, "Who gives a fuck about the pedals he uses, check out his guitar strap" and we then proceeded to have a conversation about how awesome your guitar strap WAS. Seriously though, after reading that letter, fuck Louis Vuitton! Yet, that letter should be framed up on the wall somewhere… it’s a keeper! Anyways, enjoy the rest of your vacation!

Much Love,
-Kirsten

(Btw someone uploaded a live video of you playing “Rexall” on Conan a couple of days ago, but YouTube had it removed due to copyrights.... was that you?! Geez, I only got to see the video once!!! :'( lol.

Posted by: Kirsten [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 19, 2008 09:54 AM

You should get carried away! I can't believe they aren't thanking you and sending you a check. I thought it was the coolest guitar strap since i saw slash's ultra-thin black strap when i first started playing. LV is no Jane's Addiction.

Posted by: j-sin [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 19, 2008 09:58 AM

i think you should use your fame to tell people to "cease and desist" from buying Louis Vuitton products.

If they don't want customers, then good for them.

SPREAD the word Dave. Boycott LV!

Posted by: Six7Six7 [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 19, 2008 10:45 AM

Hey Dave, if you need some help unloading some of that authentic Louis Vuitton luggage etc.... that's what we're here for. :) Sarah

Posted by: fashionphile [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 19, 2008 11:37 AM

this sounds like a joke

lv is so special that i never had noticed that u use it

and by the way
have a great time

Posted by: qc [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 19, 2008 12:17 PM

So much for the vacation ;-)
1: I thought they were real. I honestly did.
2: don't tell them about the FAKE wallet I got on Canal St. to go with the REAL Alma bag I bought in Vegas. :-)

What a bunch of asshats.

Posted by: Robin [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 19, 2008 12:56 PM

Seriously? Seriously?! What the hell is that? I'm in shock... that's just unbelievable. Not only is it insulting but also simply ridiculous. And they are DEMANDING you to do stuff as well? Well, I be damned. I'd be pissed! They could have dealt with it in so many other ways but chose this? They obviously have no idea what they are doing.

I say, screw them!

Posted by: Aggie [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 19, 2008 01:06 PM

Well I think it has all been a intricate plan from the start, Jane's, Panic Channel, music history in general would have been f**king nowhere without that guitar strap - you and it were eventually going for world domination...

Yep as above, what a bunch of assholes. They even demand you send it back..are you going to conveniently lose it before you are able to return it? I think my reply would include the fact that I would no longer be purchasing their products in the future. They'll probably sue you for publishing the letter!! I'd be furious by the tone of their letter and would instantly try to do the opposite of what they are demanding!

In reality I hadn't noticed the design and wouldn't have recognised it anyway, I don't really give a shit what strap you're wearing, I'm more interested in the music...

Hope you send back a suitably worded letter..

Also hope the rest of your vacation is great.....SB

Posted by: Sarah-B [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 19, 2008 01:08 PM

I, too, am shocked that the strap was fake. (Then again, you know what they say about things being shocking...) I'm also surpised at how silly and petty LV sounds in the letter. They should be grateful that you were inadvertently giving them free publicity via the strap, not the other way around. I'd reckon there's more to this than meets the eye.

Anyway, I can see it now... Coach, Ferragamo, Gucci, Dooney & Burke, and half of Chinatown will soon be scrambling to design straps for you. This could be huge!

Thx for the chuckle. Enjoy your downtime!

Posted by: Denise [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 19, 2008 01:55 PM

It would be great if you can have new ones made that look EXACTLY the same, but replace the LV logos with FU's...

Spreading the love,
Deena

Posted by: Deena13 [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 19, 2008 02:06 PM

LMAo at Deena! I like that! This is so unfucking beleavable!!! I really cant put my head around this one. You have been giving them free advertising! Those bastards! I say Boycott LV!!!!

XOXOXO
Margaret

Posted by: YoliR & Margaret [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 19, 2008 02:55 PM

First of all, LV is pretty slow on the uptake, 8 years later. Second, how shortsighted are they? If anything, they should be glad to get free advertising. They’d be LUCKY if Jane’s was mistakenly affiliated with them. WTF? It’s the same stupid mentality that killed the recording industry when mp3s came into play.

Unfair competition? Yeah, right, like you’re standing on the corner of St Marks Place hawking your faux straps.

Give me a break. On the upside, now you’re probably going to be inundated with tons of free designer guitar straps. Who needs Louis Shitton anyway? You have enough of your own “fame and cachet”. Douchebaggery extraordinaire.

Posted by: Sue [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 19, 2008 03:58 PM

Dude this pretty much made my day... LOL!!!

Posted by: Spencer Blake [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 19, 2008 04:13 PM