« I Will Find My Soul, Back Home - S.I. | Main | GHD »

February 01, 2005

Being In Camp Freddy Doesn't Suck

C_f© 2005 Debbie VanStory

1. Dave, I know you're not much into sports and all, but are you and Carmen doing anything for Superbowl?

Well, I doubt it.

2. Do you ever see or hang out with Anthony, Flea or Chad anymore?

A month rarely goes by that I don't hang, speak to or see at least one of them. They are 3 of my favorite people of all time.

3. Hey Dave. I can't think of a way to word this without sounding like I'm being mean about it, but I was wondering what Carmen thinks/say's about you making out with other girls?

Well, a kiss of mutual admiration onstage isn't really "making out". It would be a whole different story if it were to take place in seclusion. She was not 10 feet away from me during the Camp Freddy show, tucked away in the wings. She is secure and she rules! She adores Terri and Courtney and we are all friends.

4. Dave, is there anyway you can post that article from Spin "The Dance of Decadance: The Uncensored History of Jane's Addiction....

Don't have it son.

Here is a little update about the CFR show last Saturday. Billy and I get a little "wired" on coffee and kind of go a little nuts. We like to give our program director a lot of shit on the air but the truth is that he is a really cool guy. This is my public retraction about the corporate structure. The truth is that they let us get away with murder. Indie is the most non-corporate station in the world and we love it there.

February 1, 2005 12:50 AM

Comments

I'm up for a little cereal

Posted by: Wendybird at February 1, 2005 12:53 AM

is that carmen?

to balance out all the pictures of other chicks you've been making out with? lol

Posted by: Six7Six7 at February 1, 2005 01:14 AM

3 is the magic number

Posted by: stevo at February 1, 2005 01:35 AM

...gorgeous...

Posted by: MsArataJ at February 1, 2005 01:42 AM

Hey Dave, the rumor mill is as rampant as ever... I read that you were contributing a newly recorded song to the new Batman movie comin' out this summer. Apparently Green Day has three songs for it, and supposedly Velvet Revolver recorded a song for it. Is there any merit to this? If so, is it just you, or is it The Panic Channel? Any info is appreciated. Have a good one.

Posted by: bill at February 1, 2005 01:58 AM

Full of smiles and happy sighing!

RP
x

Posted by: RecklessPrincess at February 1, 2005 03:14 AM

Great job with the site, Dave! The new banner and other changes are awesome! Dave, I know you're not much into sports and all, but are you and Carmen doing anything for Superbowl? Well, friends, be well and enjoy this day. I know I will - it was three years ago today that I met my lovely fiance! Take care.

-bjs

Posted by: Brad at February 1, 2005 03:15 AM

Hey Dave ,
Do you ever see or hang out with Anthony, flea or chad anymore?, even John, Have you ever jammed with him?

p.s The panic rules man!

Posted by: cole at February 1, 2005 04:32 AM

ooooooo thts a good question

mr. navarro answer that one please!!

mez

Posted by: piratemurray at February 1, 2005 06:15 AM

Aww. . .I'm assuming Carmen by the title "Life?"

Posted by: Jenn at February 1, 2005 06:30 AM

Hey Dave. I can't think of a way to word this without sounding like I'm being mean about it, but I was wondering what Carmen thinks/say's about you making out with other girls? Also, does she come to your site at all?

If it's none of my business, simply tell me! I know, curisity killed the cat. Thanks!

Posted by: baby at February 1, 2005 06:37 AM

Wonder wonder wondering if Daves gonna be in town for the super bowl. The local baptist would love Dave! :)

Heres hoping

Posted by: Giovanni9 at February 1, 2005 06:43 AM

Thanks for posting the messy show!
I was glad to get to hear *most* of it...

Posted by: MuseSick at February 1, 2005 06:49 AM

You think if there was a Lollapalooza festival this summer that the Panic Channel would play it? Because I was going to go to last years but yeah, it was canceled, so if you guys played that would be awesome.

Posted by: Sean McGeezer at February 1, 2005 07:11 AM

Dave...

Love this picture of you and Carmen!
Question, my man is about to get signed to a major label(guitarist) with his band. He tells me that he will take me with him when he goes, is that possible for a new band? Don't think I will be able to be away from him for months at a time.
Thanks
TL

Posted by: TL at February 1, 2005 07:18 AM

hey family

i wont be online from 2moro nite will next week Tuesday. im going on a few day holiday with my girlfriend. so if i dont post for a few days please dont forget about me!!

please, sum1, record CFR on saturday, im so looking forward to it but wont be able to do much since im on holiday and dont have a PC around!

so ya,

much love,

kyle

dont do anything i wouldnt do. and if you do then name it after me!

Posted by: Kyle at February 1, 2005 07:27 AM

morning dave! quick question...when a movie or a game uses a jane's addiction (or any of your other songs), how is that handled? who gives permission for it to be released? just a curiousity of mine cause i heard been caught stealing in the new GTA San Andreas...and flipped out cause it was so awesome to hear that song in that game lol...much love to everyone here!!

-love, emily

Posted by: blondimofo at February 1, 2005 07:37 AM

Now, THAT'S the pic I want to see on the first day of February!!!!!

jezzi(only 13 more shopping days left)

Posted by: jezebel at February 1, 2005 07:42 AM

thanks Mike for the link to all the loops and new beats!!
had a great time listening to all of your work! i really missed it, listening to these short pieces of music. thanks everybody, it sounds great :D
can't wait to hear another online jam completed

Posted by: Emma at February 1, 2005 08:17 AM

The spin website only has some of the article..

Posted by: Moody at February 1, 2005 08:26 AM

For sure today’s photo is the Best. A reminder of how someone before used to kiss me and a wonder if I’ll be kissed like that again…hope it doesn’t happen when I’ve reached social security age and if it does…I hope I at least still feel sexy enough to enjoy it!!!

Feel it baby and stay sexy!!!

Kisses
Chrissy

Posted by: Chrissy at February 1, 2005 08:33 AM

"hey family
Kyle"

Kyle who?

Posted by: Lyn at February 1, 2005 08:49 AM

Life....tastes sweet indeed!!

Posted by: Bonita at February 1, 2005 08:49 AM

That's a great picture but what happened to the other one???

And about the headline, did you just remember again, how great life can be, especially if you are Dave Navarro???

Humm..

Posted by: wendybird at February 1, 2005 08:58 AM

As anyone who has been a regular listener would know..you guys are the shizzle,but are also full of the same sometimes..
Loved seeing Carmen in the wings, rocking out with the other "girls"

jezzi(but I still prefer pics of you and her, to pics of you and anyone else,oh, except....ME!!!)

Posted by: jezebel at February 1, 2005 09:01 AM

You know getting to see Camp Freddy is also not too shaby...

Posted by: Wendybird at February 1, 2005 09:01 AM

I meant it doesn't suck at all...unless..

better go to work now

Posted by: Wendybird at February 1, 2005 09:05 AM

I have the Spin magazine, it is August 2003. You can order it from their website:

Here is the partial article link:

Posted by: Schwing at February 1, 2005 09:09 AM

Ahh..Steve..yes it is, its the magic number. Even here in New Haven De La Sol and Tribe Called Quest are the tools of the educated gangstar! Still bumpin it, fo shizzle?

Dave-Im sure you've seen "The Last Waltz" by Martin Scorscese. Would your agree that it is one of the greatest rock n ruckus videos of all time? Do you like Dr. John?
He's a spittin image of my pops back in the day.

Everybody-I have an album completed, but Im not sure how to get it recorded. I used to have a roommate with a complete 16 track studio. Had microphones was worth more than I make a month. Im in recovery-and when he works in the studio its always PCP, crack, n dope. Id be strait if it were beer n herb but it isnt. Anyone in CT area or new england have studio access. I want this to be done right, its taken my whole life to complete this. Should I get a small studio, I know Id want more than four tracks. Im not smart enough for Pro Tools and Im not gonna put something so special on an answering machine/tape recorder. I want to record acoustic guitars/vocals/bass lines/drums/and some electric guitar. I also dig atmospherics. Im open to everyones suggestions. Im sure Im far from the first person in such a situation-thats why I thought it might not be a bad post for a public forum. If anyone has equipment they dont care about-lemme know. This is important to me. This is my project-not Epic's Poor Portion. It will be better if I can find a medium to lay down the tracks. See what we struggle with Dave! Can you remember when you were just starting out? You think you got something special, but dont know how to get it out there!

So much love
Boots

Posted by: boots at February 1, 2005 09:30 AM

speaking of courtney love - i saw her the other night at the roxy. my gf was serving her and her party drinks. i haven't seen courtney look that good in a long time.
mos def good to see.

scobra

Posted by: Scobra at February 1, 2005 09:34 AM

Id like a date with Courtney! She'd probably diss me, but I bet shed love New HAven. Oh well, her loss.

Brave Boots

Posted by: boots at February 1, 2005 09:51 AM

HEYSCOBRA...I WOULD KEEPTHAT ONTHE DOWNLOW.YOU KNOW
I THINK THERE IS A COURT ORDER THAT SAYS COURTNEY ISNT SUPPOSED TO BE N PLACE WHERE LIQUOR IS SERVED UNLESS SHE IS PERFORMNG....COULD BE WRONG

Posted by: anonymous at February 1, 2005 09:54 AM

if your arms were ripped off in an unfortunate cheese accident......who would you want to replace you in all your bands/projects ?

Posted by: ric at February 1, 2005 10:42 AM

Boots~

if you're not comfortable with ProTools, I'd suggest using Adobe Audition, allows up to 16 track but it's a lot easier/more accesible than pro tools for those of us who are music app retards.

good luck man

Posted by: Rantz at February 1, 2005 10:47 AM

goood day Fam & DN!

happy february!! do you believe its already february?!

lovin the panic channel radio & cfr shows, makes me laugh. funny funny times. cheers to that!

x leanne

Posted by: Loves at February 1, 2005 11:00 AM

Rantz-Ill note that app. I saw the users guide for pro tool. It was intense. I was once trying to learn the SP-1200 by EMU machines. I wanted to make evil/dismal Wu Tang style beats. (4 sec samples) Prior to MPC...you have to be a computer engineer almost to make a beat. From there my roommate tried to get my spirits/confidence up by showing me how to record directly to MPC, and would have me plug in the fiber optic cables for different equip. so id feel better. Im the kind a guy who if you didnt tell me so would put an ADAT in a VCR!
Do people still use ADATS? Our studio had two for some reason. I dunno why, do you need two because each only holds 8 tracks. Im confused why he had that! He had two SP-1200's and was so good he could perform live with em. Seemed like excess to me, but he had a special gift as long as he wasnt too wet down. A shame!

"Rotate the Earth and make it's blocks
spin with chaos!"

******* B Oh Oh Tea S

Posted by: boots at February 1, 2005 11:15 AM

Oh I get it. It was just a bit! Now it makes sense that you teased your program director on-air.

Later,
Mike from NYC

Posted by: Mike from NYC at February 1, 2005 11:17 AM

Lyn, i agree with you, who is this "kyle" guy?? lol, haha

Posted by: Kyle at February 1, 2005 11:39 AM

"Lyn, i agree with you, who is this "kyle" guy?? lol, haha"

Posted by: Lyn at February 1, 2005 12:35 PM

"Some dude that's into Piper and Drum fighting! Like you really do some damage with a drum and bugle-gimme a break!"

Not a bugle, alright!! its a clarinet, i do crazy kung fu fighting with a clarinet!! lol

Posted by: Kyle at February 1, 2005 12:39 PM

Thanks Dave for answering my question in the last post, about your favorite jam so far from the upcoming TPC album! I hope that you and Carmen are doing well, and continue on having a rocking time! (Is that too corny?)

Two other male musicians that I adore, besides you (OF COURSE), are Prince and Bono from U2. My tastes are quite eclectic, aren't they? Anyways, I think I know your feelings about Prince, but where do you stand on Bono? I can't imagine you disliking anybody (you're so sappy sweet), but do you dig U2's music? What do you think of Bono's political standings?

Much love---Mandie

Posted by: Mandie at February 1, 2005 01:18 PM

Dave...

Love this picture of you and Carmen!
Thanks
TL

Posted by: tl at February 1, 2005 01:19 PM

I have been experimenting with using a bit of make up recetly when I hit the town. Do you do your own and what is it that you do and with what?

Posted by: Chrismarx at February 1, 2005 01:40 PM

Ok, what the the hell- here goes.
Dave- here's the first:
Your fans are so loyal- you're asked so many personal questions and so often told how wonderful you are. Do you ever return the affections? Do you ever ask fans personal questions about themselves or want to know more about them?

Ylais- thanks for your reply.

Posted by: aquarius at February 1, 2005 02:00 PM

"Do you ever return the affections? Do you ever ask fans personal questions about themselves or want to know more about them?"

EXCELLENT QUESTION!!
maybe things can be turned around for a bit and he can come up with a Sunday 10 for us next weekend. Why always be the one interviewed when you can interview someone else?

Posted by: mortisha8 at February 1, 2005 02:29 PM

nice work...
the banner reminds me of chess for some odd reason...
it also reminds me of how i need to get back to my website...

ty mr navarro
:>

Posted by: sexsinger at February 1, 2005 02:29 PM

ooh...
hows the "Let Them Play" campaign coming along???
gonna miss saturdays show ...:(
going out with the girls ... break some hearts...
:::innocent smile:::
is there a way to listen to it sunday ...in my afterglow???

Posted by: sexsinger at February 1, 2005 02:32 PM

Who ever asked Dave about the SPIN Issue on Jane's Addiction, the entire thing is scanned here: http://xiola.org/articles/1997/200308spin/index.htm
if you want a copy of it you can check ebay. i bought my copy there a few months ago.

Posted by: trip away at February 1, 2005 02:59 PM

"thanks Mike for the link to all the loops and new beats!!
can't wait to hear another online jam completed" -Emma

Emma,
love, I did not do all of the music. It has been a group collaboration. The credit actually goes to Dave, FreAk, Kyle, Saraswati, Chick Bass Player, Nik, SteveL, Skot, TaniaG, WhitePony, Lisa (Muse), myself, countless others before, and all of you for supporting the concept. Please when you see the others, Thank Them! They were the inspiration and motivation.

Posted by: Mike at February 1, 2005 04:47 PM

Dave I just had a question,being one who aslo enjoys working out, if you dont mind I would like to know what you did to put on so much muscle. Tahanks

Posted by: james at February 1, 2005 05:25 PM

Hello Dave,
In the book it seemed that Anthony and Flea kind of lift you in a time of need. I just just read that they are 2 of your most favorite people. By them leaving did it make you wake up a little bit. When did you get the cummy with them again.

Also will this be the first time in a long time talking to Eric A.

You, Billy and Steve Jones make iddie rock.

Thanks for staying with us,
Matt

Posted by: Matt at February 1, 2005 05:32 PM

Have you ever jammed with or met Eddie Van Halen??

Wouldn't he be Camp Freddy material??

Posted by: Mads at February 1, 2005 05:43 PM

Manq here.......

Hi Dave Navarro and everyone else.

Dave Navarro, I got to ask if you if you have been turned onto the Swedish band Dungen yet??

Man, their new disc is called Ta Det Lugnt (translated it means Take It Easy) and it is a monster. File under Psyche Rock I suppose. I've had the disc for awhile but it wasn't until today that I thought of mentioning it. I was rather surprised to see this band not on the Coachella line up as they have had a good buzz (allmusic, Pitchfork,etc) Oh well, maybe next year.

Today I was driving home on the 101 just loving this thing to death on the Ipod. Then I was walking in the alley just south of Melrose to my my old house see and I realized this shit is just making love to my ears. These cats are jamming. Some of it's instrumental, some ambient, mostly it rocks but with elements of Swedish folk. Think Hendrix jamming with Keith Moon while chewing on a Pink Floyd candy bar and trying to out Sigur Ros Sigur Ros on the vocals. Swedish lyrcs tend to recall Sigur Ros.

So my question Dave Navarro, have you heard this amazing band yet? Please let me know or I will strangle myself.

Cheers Bud.

Manq out..............

Posted by: manq at February 1, 2005 05:49 PM

Dave

Do you believe in shrinks, or should we develop the disipline to work out our own problems ?

Dave

Posted by: Dave at February 1, 2005 06:29 PM

Sorry for the crappy grammer above. That was chummy not cummy.

Matt

Posted by: Matt at February 1, 2005 08:02 PM

Hi Dave,
What's the word on February 17th???

Posted by: Wendybird at February 1, 2005 08:12 PM

What is the ETA on another Jane's "record"?
10 years was way to long...

Btw - you look like a drown rat in the shower pic bro....add your wife and were talking....No check that, I would be sharing your site more in a shower scene!
Freedom is on the march!!

Posted by: John at February 1, 2005 10:01 PM

Mike, i was trying to thank you for posting the link and to thank everybody who did the music. i know my english isn't very good..so i'll do it again. just to make things clear
thank you Dave, FreAk, Kyle, Saraswati, Chick Bass Player, Nik, SteveL, Skot, TaniaG, WhitePony and Lisa!!

Posted by: Emma at February 1, 2005 10:21 PM

Moody, the whole SPIN article is on xiola.org - on the main page under "articles 1997 on..."

Posted by: Navarrian at February 1, 2005 11:31 PM

Thanks for the answer. You seriously are the prime.

Posted by: baby at February 2, 2005 01:00 AM

I JUST read that article on Sunday. It's kickass.

Posted by: Jenn at February 2, 2005 01:01 AM

Hi Dave! I'm Laura from Milan (Italy), I would like to ask you what you think about the italian music. I think that is very very bad, except some band like Negrita or Shandon (they play ska-punk) or , I think you know, Lacuna Coil. but i don-t know....for me the best bands are guns, jane's, velvet revolver...
Thank you! kisses
i love you!

Posted by: Laura at February 2, 2005 03:32 AM

Why don't you have any of Carmen's(official) sites listed in your link section?

Posted by: Tracy at February 2, 2005 06:02 AM

A new day....a new post.....
Hey Creepy
I believe it was "Piper, Piper..the red red worm. Awoke one night to the sound of the storm. For these are the words Ive sailed upon!
You got ball man! At least your n joyin the ride.

You wont find moments in a box.
Goodday v ry body!
Boots

Posted by: boots at February 2, 2005 08:22 AM

Good Morning Everyone...happy Groundhog Day!

Dave, I got the impression from a story you and Carmen told at some point recently (possibly on CFR) that you relapsed at some point after the time documented in your book, while you and Carmen were together.

Is that correct? If so, what do you believe triggered the relapse and how did you get past it?

Posted by: Cori at February 2, 2005 08:28 AM