« Tonight | Main | Lousy Late Night Wrap Up »

June 30, 2004

Some Stuff

dave_spread_iconLatest questions: (I get about a half hour to do this every once in a while, so please understand that there is no order or preference in terms of getting to the questions, it is really just a time thing. As we get busier, our posts might become more narrative, but we will do our best to at least get to some questions, at least 10, a week.)

Dave......guitarists? (modern day)

Alain Johannes from 11, John Frusciante, Slash, Ton Morello, Dimebag Darrel, Daniel Ash, Robert Smith, Jonny Greenwood, I am also a fan of guys who just produce their sounds in an interesting way like Reznor and John 5 and that whole world. I love so many, I can't even remember them all.

Who your favorite vocalists are ...

Trent is one of my all time favorite voices as well as musicians. Thom York, Manson, Zack from Rage, Brody, Josh Homme, Siouxsie Sioux, in fact, there are too many to even mention just a few, these just came off the top of my head. I love it when a singer makes you feel like you have learned something about him or her just by the sound of their voice.

How was the whole vibe at that place? Did the crowd dig the live guitars?(BET Awards)

It's hard to tell. If you have ever been to an awards show, you know what I mean. If not, I guess what I mean is that it is not much of a concert vibe. Most of the audience is connected in some way with the show. The real "fans" are mostly backstage as they are all musicians themselves. Fun though. Like I said, it's hard to tell, I hope they did. It's so quick at those things, you never really find a groove. You are done in like 3-4 minutes. By the way, here is the cheat sheet I taped to my guitar with all the changes...

cheatsheet

?uestlove is one of my favorite drummers. How is he to work with? Why don't you think that more hip-hop groups use a live band like the Roots?

He was amazing. He was actually the musical director of the whole thing. Live bands are tricky and expensive to tour with. A lot can go wrong as was made evident last night. I'm not sure why they all don't, but if I had to guess, I'd start there.

Dave, what kind of recording equipment do you have?

I actually just record little ideas into a cassette player. The ideas stay there until I can get someone who has all that stuff to do it properly. Perk might know though.

Do you still hate the Rolling Stones?

I love the Rolling Stones.

I just watched the original version of The Italian Job Is that where you guys got the name for Camp Freddy??

Yup. That was Donovan's call and we backed him.

What do you think makes a better musician: someone who can play their one instrument really well or someone who can play several instruments well enough to say they can play them and also know loads of music theory?

I'd say it's the guy with the best idea. Some of my favorite artists aren't the best players, they just write really interesting stuff.

What type of effects do you use in the song summertime rolls?

That was an outboard effect called a Lexicon. The setting was "Swirling".

What is you favorite Jimi Hendrix CD?

Electric Ladyland.

Which diet do you recommend: Vegan, Atkins, South Beach, the Zone, or everything in moderation?

Moderation and exercise, but I go mostly low carb, low fat, low sugar and a lot of water. I just feel better like that and it allows room for my Sunday Night anything goes philosophy.

Anyway, I was going to ask you if Anthony ever RSVP-Ed?

No, he was out of town, but Chad and Flea made it!

Dave

June 30, 2004 12:05 PM

Comments

i still think you suck, and what you did sucks and what you havent done to resolve it sucks and but this site....its not all the work of the devil with evil intentions. better on your gay new bands site then never.
better but not much.

Posted by: molly at June 30, 2004 12:08 PM

get over it molly????

Thx for the update Dave as always, cant wiat to hear the music.

Tune of the day: I Feel Love - Donna Summer

Will D

Posted by: Will at June 30, 2004 12:16 PM

molly u r harsh hunny

jus remember everything happens for a reason

Posted by: Sandy at June 30, 2004 12:17 PM

Who dropped Molly on her head and implanted the stick in her ass? If you have nothing positive or constructive to say then leave the site and don't post. On a nicer note...Dave, you looked great, so what if the song was a little messy....chalk it up to an interesting, cool experience.

Posted by: Zero13 at June 30, 2004 12:19 PM

Just above the cheat sheet...what is the interesting necklace you're wearing?

Posted by: Cori at June 30, 2004 12:23 PM

it´s a joy to read your posts, man. You sound so balanced and happy. It´s beautiful, man, really.
It´s inspiring.

God bless!

Love from
Luiz,
The Brazilian Guy.

Posted by: Luiz at June 30, 2004 12:23 PM

THANK YOU for answering that question! do you know how many people have been wondering if the RHCP were at the wedding?
It's been debated on their online message board endlessly.

rock on

mortisha

Posted by: mortisha8 at June 30, 2004 12:28 PM

sorry about posting so much today, just wanted to say one more thing...

Happy (belated) Birthday to Dave (was on 6/7)!

Did you do anything special? Hope it was good!

mortisha8

Posted by: mortisha8 at June 30, 2004 12:39 PM

Hey, Dave

Speaking of inspiration, would you give this a listen if you have the time?

I did a version of Trent´s "We´re in this together now" (I love his work and I hope I didn´t ruin his song!)

There are guitar parts that are different from the original ones, some cool wah work. My buddy Márcio played them... Those are cool.

As for my vocals, I´ll let you be the judge!

And even if you say I suck it doesn´t matter cos I´ll still love the fact that you actually listened. :O)

Thanks a lot, Dave!

Love from
Luiz.

PS: is my Brazilian accent too veeeeeird? LOL

Posted by: Luiz at June 30, 2004 12:40 PM

Dave, in September or October, it will be ten years since the release of Deconstruction---- which was my favorite album of the 90s.

I would listen to it repeatedly, and it would send me into a trance.
A stellar album.

I have some questions regarding the album/project:

1. I consider Deconstruction to be your best guitar work. The textures and tones were some of your most creative on record.
To me, it felt like you were very confident.
But in an interview years ago, you said, "I wasn't happy with my guitar playing on that album."

Do you still feel that way? What about your playing displeased you?

2. I attributed the great guitar to your being sober and drug-free at that time. Was the recording of that album a "healthy" time in your life?

3. Isn't that your vocal debut on Big Sur? (besides the "Does your horizon... burn?" on LA song)
Did you write the lyrics and melodies? Or did Eric Avery write the tune, and then have you sing it?

4. When was the last time you spoke with Michael Murphy? Great drummer.
__

Thanks for all the music.

I'm stoked that you and Perk are posting directly to the fans. Finally--- some real news, about people making music and jamming.

That's all that matters.

Posted by: Joshua at June 30, 2004 12:53 PM

Dave

Why did you ignore my request for an autograph picture?

Posted by: Shocked at June 30, 2004 01:05 PM

they are buy people if they autographed pics for every1 der body would cut off da blood supply!

be realistic

Posted by: Sandy at June 30, 2004 01:13 PM

they are BUSY people if they autographed pics for every1 der body would cut off da blood supply!

be realistic

Posted by: Sandy at June 30, 2004 01:14 PM

Hi Dave,

Being a fan of yours and Nirvana's music. I once read that you said you own one of Kurts guitars. I was wondering which one? You both influenced my own playing.

Posted by: Murat at June 30, 2004 01:28 PM

Hey Luiz! I listened to your song if it means anything, I thought it was awsome! Alittle rough at the start but over all it rocked! I couldn't realy tell you had an accent. If you should ever make it up to the states and play in Cali. I would go =P

DAVE what's up with all of these guitars of yours showing up on ebay? Are they legit? I know you just answered a question on diet but I had heard a comment in fun made by your cousin saying "if you were to get in to the details on your diet it would take pages and pages to explain" was this something you were on or are on and he's just going the family thing and poking fun?

Posted by: Rain at June 30, 2004 02:07 PM

Hey Dave...
Just one question for myself and the guitarists here...I've been playing for about 12 years. Self taught, and lucky to have been blessed with a good ear, know lots of great technical players, etc. and after playing in various situations over the years, I've found myself in a "rut" where I can't stand to play alone cause I feel like it all sounds the same to me. How would you recommend I break out of it? I've been trying jamming around more with new ppl, but I still feel like I'm playing similar lines over and over, lol.

Posted by: Essence_Smith at June 30, 2004 02:08 PM

Sunday Night Anything Goes Rule? Sounds very good, very, uh... lenten. *grins*

Pray tell what's sort of hovering over your guitar on that photograph?

love, Soph xx

PS. Cassette players rule... and it's great to know some people still appreciate the older media... says she who owns a minidisc player. (;

Posted by: Sophia at June 30, 2004 02:12 PM

i did too luiz-ya got a sexy voice there bro

Posted by: Stephanie at June 30, 2004 02:20 PM

good to hear you had fun at the awards..i'd watch it but i don't get that channel on my sattelite..anyway i have a questiong for you

during my exam time in college i decided to take up something to de-stress myself with something. I started knitting and ended up with this beautiful long black scarf. I actually wanted to send it to you in thanks for making all this awesome music that we can enjoy. And well being an huge big inspiration to some of us. I was wondering if your record company had some sort of fan mail thing so i can send it to you..thanks!

Posted by: mala at June 30, 2004 02:25 PM

Hey Luis!
I am forwarding this on to my daugher who is dating one of your homies (born in Brazil)
Good work baby!
Love,
Oneidafish

Posted by: Oneidafish at June 30, 2004 03:22 PM

Are the BET Awards going to be replayed?? From what it sounds, the performance was kinda hit and miss but I'd like to see it anyway. Thanx!!

Posted by: stonegrl at June 30, 2004 03:40 PM

Here is a random question: What kind of music does Carmen like? And was she ever a fan of Jane's or the Chili Peppers before you got together?

Posted by: appleorange at June 30, 2004 03:44 PM

Hi Dave. I have a request, and ill understand if you dont have the time, effort, or what have you to do this for me, but i sure would appreciate it. ok, my stepdad knew Anthony Kiedis when they were younger, when Anthony was about 16 or so, and i've always thought about getting them together again, i mean, they would have plenty to talk about. I have tried numerous times to get ahold of anthony, but to no avail, so i was wondering if you would be able to mention it to him or something? again, ill understand if you cant do it, but if you find yourself without something to do, or are just feeling generous, i would love you forever.

Paperdove

Posted by: paperdove at June 30, 2004 04:18 PM

Hi Dave,
I heard your comrade Donovan is playing tomorrow at the spider club (Nancy Boy) and the gig is only by invitation. Is there any way to hook a sister up??? I would really love to go.
Thanks,
Wendy

Posted by: wendybird at June 30, 2004 04:43 PM

Luiz, IE shuts down and gives me an error message when I try to listen to your song. I tried twice and it did the same thing both times. :(

Dana

Posted by: Dana at June 30, 2004 05:37 PM

Do you and Carmen plan to have kids, if so when?

Posted by: jenny at June 30, 2004 06:08 PM

Jenny,

Did you not read Dana's post? Think about it.

yours truly,
the future

Posted by: the future at June 30, 2004 07:15 PM

“Jeez you guys, chill with the personal requests already. It's just not fair. And maybe ease up on the questions a bit too. I understand where you're coming from, but put yourself in Dave's position of being bombarded with all of that everyday. Let's not make him sorry for being cool enough to take the time to communicate with us, k? “

Dana,
I was brought up not to talk unless your spoken to, never to ask for anything, and bla, bla, bla. Then I came to realize that I never got jack shit while my other cousins got everything for being greedy sons of bitches. Once in a while I will ask for something I really want but as much as I ask I give twice as much. Maybe not to Mr. Navarro but if someone needs something and it’s within my reach I’m more than happy to help. I don’t think (but I could easily be mistaken) that Dave minds all the people asking him questions. If he doesn’t want to answer something or read something he can easily bypass the message. I think this a great forum and as much as we get I think he and the rest of the lads also get something out of it or else they would be doing it. Perhaps some of the questions make him think or consider other aspects (of life, music etc) that other wise he may never have considered or thought off. I don’t know but I’m sure he gets some enjoyment in being able to enlighten, inspire, or simply understand some of us. But again I cold be wrong as I often am.

Posted by: wendybird at June 30, 2004 07:35 PM

Sorry I meant unless I was spoken to. I need to start proofreading stuff before I post

Posted by: wendybird at June 30, 2004 07:38 PM

Hello David! ;-)Huge fan here!!! I was very sadden to hear that Jane's is no longer. I had tears in my eyes, but I am happy to say that I got to see you guys for the holidays in San Fran. You waved to me,I was the one who had on a white HUstler t-shirt. Remember me? Just kidding. BUt I am happy that you guys got to make another album. ANyway, here is my questions. Now that you are in a new project are you gonna start to tour the small venues? I wanna hurry up and check out the new tunes. Thanks for reading my paragraph.:-) Oh and Carmen is a VERY lucky girl to have a sweet and sexy man like you. thnx, Crecencia.

Posted by: Crecencia at June 30, 2004 08:29 PM

Wendy, I don't think you're wrong at all. But you know how you give people an inch and they take a mile? I just don't want Dave to end up feeling buried, and then this becomes more of a chore than enjoyment. I honestly wasn't trying to shut people up -- just reminding them to be considerate.

But I do think the personal requests are out of line, period. It's not the same as you or I doing someone a favor. We are not going to get 5 more requests the next day and then 20 the day after that, you know? If Dave gives anyone more personal attention, it should be of his own volition (and hopefully the person would be smart enough not to get on here and advertise it!).

Anyway, my post was meant to be nothing more than food for thought, so let's get back on track, k? What is your favorite Jane's Addiction song? Mine is Summertime Rolls. :)

Dana

Posted by: Dana at June 30, 2004 09:41 PM

DAVID,

I've always had an opportunity to tell you this in person, but never have. I want to ditto what homeboy was saying about Deconstruction. As a "student" of yours (& my main inspiration for picking up an axe in '91), I'd like to comment on the Decon guitar work, it's simply fucking incredible. The riffs, the layers, the solos, the tones, it's all completely mindblowing from this guitarists perspective, and my favorite work that you've released. I guess that's all, I just felt the need to tell you that!
See you at the Van Halen gig......

Posted by: Chris at June 30, 2004 09:45 PM

dave,
how come many rock musicians have a
great full head of hair no matter
what their age, whats the secret?
i saw aerosmith tonight, joe perry's
hair is solid

can i send you my t-shirts i created?
please, PLEASE

mr. perkins
how about doing some work with
stewart copeland, and throw in andy summers

Posted by: adam at June 30, 2004 09:50 PM

How many bands do you guys play in? Like, it's really awesome ya'll have so many projects going on, but how do you find time to juggle so much! I can't managae to work and go to school at the same time lol!
Yaaaaaaawy, i'll be 20 on sunday :D

Posted by: Alisha at June 30, 2004 09:50 PM

hey dave, i didn't know if you read this question before so i'll type it again. i was wondering if you ever met wes borland??? he's got a solo album coming out and i'm a fan of his work i just wanted to know if you did enjoy it too? if you don't feel a need to answer this question it's cool i understand. thanks dave.

Posted by: master zekk at June 30, 2004 11:15 PM

I agree with Dana here - less of the personal requests and more discussion of issues of life-threatening importance that resonate with souls from across the world, regardless of race, religion, or gender. adam is quite right - what IS the deal with rock stars and cool hair?

Personally I'm more impressed with Dave's beard work than I am with his guitar playing. How DOES he keep such a lush, thick beard going? And as a recent inductee into the ranks of the hirstutular visaged, I am also impressed by his neat control of said follicular protuberances. Tell me Dave, do you do your own hedge trimming regimen or do you rely on the services of a professional?

Please tell me you don't rely on the wife to do it over the kitchen sink with the kitchen scissors like SOME people I could mention.

Posted by: slutmonkey57b at July 1, 2004 02:38 AM

Dana,

thanks for the interest!

This link should work:

let me know if you have any problems, ok?

peace to all

Luiz.

Posted by: Luiz at July 1, 2004 04:26 AM

Hey, thanks Oneidafish ! that was cool!

peace!
Luiz.

Posted by: Luiz at July 1, 2004 04:27 AM

Damn! I mean THIS link:

negro_verso.html

;O)

Posted by: Luiz at July 1, 2004 04:29 AM

Hey Dave, what do you do for a volume boost for a solo? channel swich or another distortion pedal? I'm looking for a solution in my playing. What did you practice when you where young to get where you are? Love you playing, its right up there for me.

Posted by: Lum at July 1, 2004 05:33 AM

Hey Dave, what do you do for a volume boost for a solo? channel swich or another distortion pedal? I'm looking for a solution in my playing. What did you practice when you where young to get where you are? Love your playing, its right up there for me.

Posted by: Lum at July 1, 2004 05:33 AM

Hey, RAIN

I just read your comment now, thank you so much for your kind words they really mena a lot to me!

If I ever go to Cali I´ll let you know! ;O)

Peace!
Luiz.

Posted by: Luiz at July 1, 2004 05:43 AM

Dave....

i actually don't know if somebody else has asked it already here, but i'm wondering if there will be any chance to see you back in europe soon, or if not this year maybe next year....you know, with jane's adiction was a lot easier ( last tour was wonderful and i was so lucky to see you in london ) but i really hope you guys want to play your great music here in europe as well.....so what can you tell me about it? thanx so much for yout time and infos. you're great.

love,
Alessia*

Posted by: Alessia at July 1, 2004 05:52 AM

hello Dave.

just wondering....what kind of spiritual cerimony was the one of your wedding?

thanx for everything.....

love

Lisa

Posted by: Lisa at July 1, 2004 05:55 AM

Dear Luiz "the Brazilian Freak"

your music sucks ass and we hope you die

America

Posted by: America at July 1, 2004 06:08 AM

Hey now that's fucked up, so uncalled for, I give u props Luiz....It's hard to know that we still got racist american pigs...get over it if you don't have anything nice to say don't fucking say it!!!!!!!! Oh yeah Hi Dave...te amo mucho papi

Colleen (PA)

Posted by: Colleen at July 1, 2004 07:04 AM

hey dave, if you weren't a musician what do you think you'd be doing instead and why?

Posted by: Laura at July 1, 2004 07:21 AM

just to say how fucking-bloody cool I think it is that you linked suicide girls.

Posted by: freakette at July 1, 2004 12:33 PM

actually...the first few mins of "were in this together" by luiz made me cringe, but towards the end i'm really getting into it. Constructive critism here, the beginning is a little washy but i love the parts with the digital distortion and the wah wah pedal was a stellar idea, keep up the good work luiz!

Posted by: mala at July 1, 2004 01:18 PM

Ok soz this is such a random question but i think it says alot about the person?!

'If you were a sea gull/pigeon for the day, who would you like to crap on?'

sorry im in such a trivial mood, keep rocking
\m/(*_*)\m/

Posted by: Carrie at July 1, 2004 01:44 PM

Hey Dave

Firstly, glad you and the others are back in action again - can't wait to hear what you've all been up to!

Question:

Are you familiar with these two guitarists?
Stevie Salas
Richie Kotzen

Along with yourself and John Frusciante, they are two other guitar players who i admire and respect.
I think some of Stevie's stuff is similar to yours. Yourself and Mr. Salas could come up with some great stuff. I bet both Richie and Stevie would be up for the Camp Freddy project.

Cheers!
Ben
U.K.

By the way, your white PRS is beautiful. And thanks for my first Jane's gig last year at Manchester Apollo - it was awesome.

Posted by: Ben at July 1, 2004 02:01 PM

Dana,
Good points. Sometimes I just like to talk for the sake of talking. I’m usually full of it so don’t pay any attention. As to my favorite Jane’s song I don’t have one right now. I have to revisit my past love for Juanes Adicción sometime. Right now I’m focused on new stuff which is why I’m here. I’m trying to let go of my past loves and move forward to the unknown. I can’t wait to hear the new stuff they’ll come up with

Posted by: wendybird at July 1, 2004 04:37 PM

Hey Dave,

Just wondering if we'll ever get to hear "Circle of the Noose". How did it sound & what are your thoughs/feelings on the track?

also...was this the only song you recorded/wrote with the Chilli peppers after One hot Minute?

Posted by: eye at July 1, 2004 06:05 PM

Hey Dave

Will we ever get to here "Circle of the Noose"?

Posted by: eye at July 1, 2004 06:09 PM

Also.....was this the last track you wrote/recorded with the Chilli Peppers?

Posted by: eye at July 1, 2004 06:10 PM

So what happened to Martyn? did he leave or was he fired?

Posted by: bumface at July 1, 2004 06:28 PM

I'm so psyched that you like Alain Johannes from 11...i love the work that he and his wife did with Chris Cornell on his solo work...and thanks for the tidbit on Summertime Rolls...it's a stunning piece of guitar work...but then again...everything you do is stunning...maybe cause you're stunning lol

Posted by: blondimofo at July 1, 2004 06:46 PM

Ever since the news of the Jane's breakup, I've been over-eating, really bingeing. I don't want this out of control eating to go on so, I thought I'd ask you about your diet. Seriously, please advise me on this situation. What is your diet like on a typical day?

Thanx ;)

Posted by: suzzane at July 1, 2004 07:43 PM

Hey Dave,

You and Carmen should come through for the second Axis of Justice Concert at the Avalon, July 17th. Jurassic 5, Pete Yorn, The Nightwatchman, Serj, Michelle Branch, Rag Witter, and 'special guests' will be there. Tom and Serj would love to see you guys there, we all would.

be blessed,