« More of the Good Stuff | Main | Media Update »

June 24, 2004

Late Night Answers

dave_spread_iconQ: As a matter of interest, which guitar makes this song so obese?

A: Actually, I'd say it is Chaney's Lakland bass that supplies all the extra carbs. The PRS is like the frosting.

Q: So where can we hear the new sounds?????

A: We hope to debut on Indie 103.1 FM - Camp Freddy Radio (Sat. 6pm - 8pm) in L.A. (web simulcast) in a couple of weeks. Will keep you updated.

Q: Are the Baby Uni photobooth pics still going to be included in the book?

A: I am sorry to say, no, as I lost all of that content from the old site years ago. If they ever turn up, I will link them to this new site. I still remember those days fondly and am so touched that so many of you went to such lengths.

Q: Still, am I noticing a pattern here in Dave's career?

A: Pattern? You mean, like in and out and in and out? Yeah, I guess so, you are right. I wonder what Freud would say?

Q: Will you be using the band to fill the rest of the album deal you have with your record label?

A: Oh shit that's right! We hadn't thought of that! j/k We are open to however they want to handle this. Right now we are just focusing on the creative stuff. Haven't switched on that part of the brain yet.

A: Sorry man, I told her you were sad, but she just wasn't having it. I'll work on it.

Q: Have you actually recorded anything yet or are you still writing?

A: We are kind of doing both. A little writing, recording and rehearsing. Keeping it all fresh and light.

Q: I'm so glad to see 6767.com up again, but it just isn't quite the same without all the hidden "goodies".

A: I know, as soon as we have content we will start getting into the fun. We just wanted to at least start by allowing you all to have a place to find out what's up and interact with us and each other.

Q: I loved your album TRUST NO ONE, will there be a follow-up to it?

A: Absolutely! All four of us will continue to make music in all sorts of ways. That is just what we do. We like this thing we are doing, but that doesn't mean there won't be future Banyan records, solo records, guest appearances and solo performances.

Tomorrow we would like to take a group consensus, if you would be so kind as to humor us...

Thanx,

Dave

June 24, 2004 12:06 AM

Comments

I was just wondering why on Strays, you didn't keep the longer version of True Nature, it was sweet. Was it because of Bob Ezrin, or trying to keep it shorter for play on the radio?

Posted by: MiKeY at June 24, 2004 12:26 AM

hi dave
thanks for the answers. i got spread the other day. i like it. i cant decide whats better that or trust no one. what one do you like better? im guesing tno because it was released and the other wasnt.......

Posted by: ken at June 24, 2004 12:33 AM

my wife left and i need a job can someone hook me up ?
I really want to hear a Johnny Cash cover ..
.... thanks ..... Supahsta

Posted by: Satansgopherboy at June 24, 2004 01:06 AM

Dave, which was more painful - nipple piercing or tattoos?
I used to have a navel piercing but am now thinking about a tatto around my navel and wondered just how much it will hurt! I am such a blonde wimpy thing!

(Don't forget the UK love you all too!)

Posted by: Latex Queen at June 24, 2004 01:08 AM

Hey Guys,

When you've recorded your new material do you think you will plan to tour the UK?

Shane

Posted by: Shane at June 24, 2004 01:22 AM

just have to get this off my chest Dave, your all fucking nuts and crazy! maybe the real magic was gone, but you guys have some serious unstable brains in your heads! i aint buying it, you guys need therapy, call this band "2 fruitloops, a condiment and an ugly bitch!"

Posted by: brain_damage at June 24, 2004 01:25 AM

He'd probably say
"Wooo! You rock man! Wooo! Play Immigrant Song dude! Immmiigraaant Soooong!"

Or possibly not.

Posted by: slutmonkey57b at June 24, 2004 01:45 AM

good to see im not the only one who stays up way too late,lol..question,have ya added any more ink lately? I know tats are addicting..

Posted by: Stephanie at June 24, 2004 02:26 AM

Everyone has a sweet tooth for Paul reed smiths', they're the forbidden fruit of guitars.

Posted by: Gary at June 24, 2004 03:15 AM

FUCK FREUD!

the man was tone deaf - He couldn´t carry a tune if his life depended on it! everybody knows that (at least I do - and Jung did too! LOL)

so what did the Father of Psychoanalysis knew about music/musicians? NADA.

rock on DAAAAAAAAAVE!

Unconditional love from
Luiz.

Posted by: Luiz at June 24, 2004 03:18 AM

Cool cool.

I'm glad to see another solo album is possible. As for the new band can't wait I'm jonesin.

Jess

Posted by: Jesse at June 24, 2004 04:03 AM

hi Dave!
i just wanna ask what do You think about One Hot Minute cause i've read that You like it and i've read that You hate it too. diferent source - diferent opinion. so how are Your feelings about my favorite album of all times?
and btw i hope I'll see You playing someday in Poland, cause i assume You haven't been here yet, right?
ps. thanks for trust no one - great music and lyrics.

Posted by: Endi at June 24, 2004 04:11 AM

Dave, you've created a monster

As soon as the press picks up on this, you're going to have a billion music fans showing up to call you a "fag", "sellout", etc.... (you're not, but what the hell would THEY know anyway?)

I suggest you start handing out special passes for those of us who actually care enough to be here in the early stages of the site's rebirth (or those of us that were there for the old site's existance). Maybe mine can be gold and double as a "Get in free" pass for all your shows. That would be cool, and very unfaggy and unselloutish of you.

Anyway, keep the updates coming. The fans appreciate it greatly.

Posted by: Six7Six7 at June 24, 2004 04:30 AM

wow, so you have time to answer questions from your unconditionaly adoring drooling fans but not the time to organise some official press release or statment for all the janes fans who have seen something amazing in your music for over a decade? there are 4 big janes sites you could post on, you know, let us know directly,not that you owe us anything,not that its decent,not that you should care.
a follow up to trust no one?im soo happy,you have a beutiful voice you,like a toilet flushing, but what does that matter, if your shirtless all the little girls wont mind.

watch out for pools of drool,you may well slip and mess up your hair.

Posted by: molly at June 24, 2004 04:41 AM

w00000t thanks for the Q&a Dave!

Cannot wait for any new stuff!!!

Posted by: Will at June 24, 2004 04:48 AM

"On a sidenote, since you have apparently rediscovered your inner computer nerd, perhaps dropping by one of the Spread List's weekly chats might be a possibility? I'm sure they (we) would love to catch up in real time."

hey, that´s a great idea! What do you say, Dave?

Love,
Luiz.

Posted by: Luiz at June 24, 2004 05:22 AM

Hey guys!
Get together, get some hugs, and don't think of a style!! play fucking music, without being scared, record that shit and play it live! Remember you can change the PRESENT/FUTURE of music if you guys want to.

And a small advice: On any interview, ANY, please let the motherfucking media know that this IS NOT JANE'S ADDICTION with a new vocal. Please keep that shit clear, 'cuz some of the media are looking for THE DRAMA. Idiots.

Glad to be reading you guys, and knowing you're moving on, working and looking for your happinness. Kisses to the four of you!

da MoFo
Larry

Peace

Posted by: Larry B. at June 24, 2004 05:28 AM

Good luck with the new project.

Hope the new dudes pipes can match the chops.

Posted by: scarecrow at June 24, 2004 05:46 AM

you're so sweet to answer to your fans here, it's something i cannot believe!
well.....do you think there will be any chance to see you back in europe? as europe i don't mean uk only...but even countries like france, germany, italy.....please let me know about it.
thanks anyway.

love you always***

Posted by: Lisa at June 24, 2004 05:57 AM

prs question

hey dave, i relize you have A TON of people wanting to ask you a ?, sorry, but i am another. ive played guitar for quite some time, im 15 tho, i have a job, which i spent all the money on my marshall moud four, i love it. of course, like it seems EVERYOTHER guitarist, i now want a prs. i have an ibanez right now, but the prs are awsome. just curies, i do look up to you as a writer and guitarist, i was wondering if you prefer the 22's or the 24's and possibly an explanation? sorry for takin up your time, i know your busy, but thanks so much for everything.

Posted by: cody cy at June 24, 2004 08:12 AM

"PS. Dave, just so you know... Deconstruction makes me cry. It's just too good. From the samples to the voice. It's the best music I've heard. And I've heard a lot."

Larry i dont cry but i know what you mean!!!

Posted by: Will at June 24, 2004 08:13 AM

can i make a guest appearance on the album? i can play the harmonica pretty well :D

Posted by: Jez at June 24, 2004 08:37 AM

Dear 'Molly'

Feel better now you've got that off your chest luv?!

If you can only come here and give out a lot of negativity then your in the wrong place - get back to xiola or anr messageboards where you belong!

PS attached voucher gets you a free saucer of milk redeemable at most stores miles from here

Posted by: Latex Queen at June 24, 2004 08:53 AM

I'm up for a group consensus. I always thought it was odd that Freud was so hung up on being stuck in various "stages" yet he always had a cigar in his mouth. Oral fixation by his standards.;-) I guess I learned something in high school. Does Carmen get mad you're on the computer a lot? My signifigant others have always taken it poorly.

Posted by: Caitlin at June 24, 2004 09:10 AM

Molly:

1: the musicians owe you nothing - they bring you happiness with their music, then if anything you owe THEM. This attitude pisses me off no end.

2: occurred to you that a press release requires all parties to agree on the content and it has to come from the record company? Not under dave's direct control so don't blame him for it. He's making a statement on his personal site that comes from him, if you want to hear from perry, talk to perry, no?

Posted by: slutmonkey57b at June 24, 2004 09:31 AM

Hey Cody CY

the 22's have 22 frets and the 24's have 24 frets, they also have differrent pickups, the 22 i think uses Dragons, the 24 has HFS and Vintage Bass ones. Dave also always uses the 24, its his main one (white one(s))

Posted by: Oli at June 24, 2004 09:40 AM

Hey Dave,

Sombody already asked this but i dont think you replied.

What do you use on your hair gel/wax wise?

Posted by: Oli at June 24, 2004 09:43 AM

First off... props to you on the very gracious official/unofficial announcement on the demise of our beloved Jane's Addiction. Its a shame, but I know you guys worked hard and did your best. Been there, done that and all that good stuff...
Secondly, thanks for being a warm guy to me at the record signing at Tower on the day Strays was released. You smiled and shook hands with EVERYONE and were the only band member that looked genuinely happy to see us, considering we'd all waited a few hours in the rain...
I wish you the best of luck in everything you do...

Posted by: Essence_Smith at June 24, 2004 09:44 AM

Hey Dave...

I was one of the original "Uni's" and have the link to all the original photo booth pics:

I never got my picture up because the photo booth pics would never scan in light enough but a lot of dedicated fans are there :)

Posted by: caughtalitesneeze at June 24, 2004 09:54 AM

Posted by: Sophia at June 24, 2004 09:58 AM

Hey hey,
Just a quick question... do you have a name for your new band yet? Can I suggest 'Collector's Edition', I came up with that name and none of my pal's want it for their bands. Think about it, every album would be a collector's edition! If you want it, it's yours ;)

OK, I'll get my coat.

Posted by: Wilson at June 24, 2004 10:01 AM

Dear Dave,

You suck. Chris Chaney sucks worse, but you really suck.

Thanks.

Posted by: AlienOnAcid at June 24, 2004 10:26 AM

Hey dave-
are you still friends with the peppers at all?
a little off the subject but just something i wondered and seeing as you made this site so we can interact i thought hey awesome. Like i saw flea at your wedding which was awesome, but anthony, john, and chad? are you guys all tight? thanks dave, your awesome. PEACE.

Posted by: Master Zekk at June 24, 2004 10:49 AM

Dear Dave,

You suck. Chris Chaney sucks worse, but you really suck.

Thanks.

Posted by: Depp at June 24, 2004 11:02 AM

Quote: "My god isnt that funny Wilson, you spent some time going on this website and slagging off Dave and Chris. You need an award for your maturity, while were at it how about one for funniness, you really deserve it. "

ummm... the name of the poster appears UNDER the post... that msg was made by my beloved ALIEN ON ACID :)

Peace

Posted by: Larry B. at June 24, 2004 11:18 AM

Dave does suck. I think it's classic that he doesn't allow criticism in these comments. They get deleted after like 30 seconds. That's lame Dave. Almost as lame as Skycycle. This is the most embaressing day ever to be a Jane's fan.

Posted by: davesucks at June 24, 2004 11:39 AM

All I want to say is that Dave is not a good singer. The only thing thats good about him is his looks and the fact that he is good at playing the guitarr...
Dave no affence..but its through critics u develop

love you!
vian

Posted by: vian at June 24, 2004 11:40 AM

Thanks for the updates! I'm glad to hear you will be making another solo album. I listen to TNO all the time. I'm looking forward to hearing your new music on Indie.

Posted by: Kevin L at June 24, 2004 11:46 AM

hmmm

Posted by: CobraCmdr at June 24, 2004 11:48 AM

I wa sup late last night as my mind was beating me up and I thought to get up and play guitar would make me feel better.
I had just put Trust No One in my Ipod and played along with that and Axis, Physical Graffiti. The Jimiys are amazing, but so are you. Page should hear the Rexall layering...all of it really. I wondered if you use protools or something like that at home. I imagine you in the studio adding the samples and stuff lining up guitar tracks and layering them like a mad scientist. Dave are you a mix master? And what tunings were you using on that album?

Posted by: saraswati at June 24, 2004 12:05 PM

Dammit!

are the comments closed for good or is it just for the MEDIA UPDATE post???

Daaaave...! Come back! :O(

Posted by: Luiz at June 24, 2004 12:30 PM

“Just curious... how did you come about the name 'Camp Freddy'? Is it something disgustingly obvious I'm not catching onto (because I have a habit of not seeing the blatantly-wearing-a-fuckin'-neon-sign-obvious)? “

Answer from: http://www.campfreddy.net/main/bio.html

CAMP FREDDY, whose name was derived from a character in the classic Michael Caine movie, “The Italian Job?

“Q: I am very sad now. I think I should be appeased by letting me make out with Carmen.
A: Sorry man, I told her you were sad, but she just wasn't having it. I'll work on it?

I’m pretty sad too can I make out with you Dave??? No j.k.

“I suggest you start handing out special passes for those of us who actually care enough to be here in the early stages of the site's rebirth?

I agree, it’s always nice to dream

Thanks Dave for all the updates,

Wendybird

Posted by: wendybird at June 24, 2004 12:32 PM

Luiz,

I believe the comments are closed for that particular post.

Mike

Posted by: Mike at June 24, 2004 12:37 PM

i guess your only used to one tone of post here of the ass kissing variety.so heres an explaination: janes do owe their financial success to the those who are fans,as people they dont owe me anything that they create,i know that and thats not what i meant fool. An official news post on the official website aint hard to do when your a member of the band, a lot less effort then resurecting a dead website, posting a loads of stuff for your new fans, and online q&a s, mtv appearences etc.its no one members resposerbility to make it official but if its not official then why post it here?for the lovely sale generating hype perhaps? clearly its because dave does care about the fans (and their money), thats the point of this website rennaissance, thats the point of their little messages and the q&a. so what im saying in a rambley kinda way is that if he feels an obligation to keep navarro fans happy by sharing info, they ought share it with all the fans who loved janes up till now and who will still love that music forever rather than talking some vague unconfirmed shit on a pretty obscure website.if he doesnt feel this obligation then daves just a shitty pearson who sings shitty music.did that ever occur to you?

Posted by: molly at June 24, 2004 12:45 PM

Quick Q & A:
Angels or Dodgers? McDonald's or Burger King? Van Halen or Van Hagar? Trojans or Lifestyles? Do musicians receive residuals when their songs are played on the radio or on MTV, FUSE etc?

Just bein' nosy.

Mike

Posted by: Mike at June 24, 2004 12:51 PM

well i was gonna post something detrimental and derrogatory,but i think ill show my age and just say thank you,id say most of us here appreciate the time your taking with this website,and understand you dont have to do this..Your not gonna please everyone in the crowd,theres always going to be opposing views..anyways its been interesting reading so far,lol.

Posted by: Stephanie at June 24, 2004 01:04 PM

Peace.

Bugger.

Posted by: Depp at June 24, 2004 01:14 PM

Dear Dave,

Without Perry Farrell no one would care about your perfect eyebrows?

Good luck with the Dizastre reunion.

Chump.

Posted by: AlienOnAcid at June 24, 2004 01:20 PM

Is Daniel Ash still an influence? Some of your sounds when playing an acoustic, especially live, reminds me of some Tones On Tail stuff.

Mike C

Posted by: Mike at June 24, 2004 01:43 PM

What AOA just said.

Posted by: perry4prez at June 24, 2004 02:04 PM

what is it that the profoundly, wordy, molly is looking for? the statement was posted for us fans in answer to our posts. why should he have to post it on any other site? to be torn to shreds by people who don't care to see his, or chris', or perkin's explanation? he posted for us here because we cared to ask, and because we were able to hold judgement. if you want to join the hungry pack of wolves...this isn't the site for you.

Posted by: zero at June 24, 2004 02:11 PM

Zero,

I understand how you´re trying to communicate with this molly person but I wouldn´t waste my time doing that... Besides...

If you were one of the best rock musicians in the whole world (I mean past and present, possibly future too), and happened to be making music with one of your best friends who you really love and care about(that would be you PERK! you rock, BTW! love ya, man!) and a few other cats you really like and respect, and on top of that... if you also happened to be happily married to one of the most attractive women on the entire fucking planet... Would you really care about what some loser wrote about you on the internet??? Me thinks NOT!!! LOL!!

:O)) So who gives a fuck???? (Luiz laughs uncontrollably and rolls on the floor on a puddle of his own piss)

as usual, rock on Dave!! God bless you! I mean, even more! you deserve all the good stuff in the Universe...! your music means so much to me I cannot even begin to show my appreciation for it.

Massive respect!
Luiz.

Posted by: Luiz at June 24, 2004 02:43 PM

laffin, luiz control bodily functions for the slightly squeamish here?? Jus teasin dude :o)

Posted by: Stephanie at June 24, 2004 03:00 PM

Dear Dave,

Your fans roll around in their own piss?

Very becoming.

Hows about a round or two of anal ring toss?

Thanks.

Posted by: AlienOnAcid at June 24, 2004 03:40 PM

Dear Dave,

Your fans roll around in their own piss?

Very becoming.

Hows about a round or two of anal ring toss?

Thanks.

Posted by: AlienOnAcid at June 24, 2004 03:41 PM

Do you remember when your music really meant something more than just being something you could rock to? It was music never meant to be big yet it will never be looked past. Remember when every band scrambled to copy your sound and no one ever could do it justice? Do you remember you accomplished all that against the grain of what was popular or expected that day? That was honest music. That was music fans were proud to be a part of. What a triumph that was. I hope you can bring that spirit back because its that spirit thats been missing.

-Dave

Posted by: dave at June 24, 2004 03:48 PM

Hey, I love One Hot Minute. In fact, I'm listening to Deep Kick right now. Great stuff. Anyway what are you feelings on Anthony Kiedis and John Frusciante currently?

Posted by: frusciante fan at June 24, 2004 03:59 PM

Well all of this has certainly been a nice surprise! How exciting! Welcome baaaaaack! :)

(waves enthusiastically to the other "Spread List"-ers here)...

Deena

Posted by: Deena13 at June 24, 2004 07:58 PM

I'm going to take this opportunity to say that you rock!! you're totally number 1 in my book and I absolutely adore you and will continue to adore and support you no matter what you do, even if that means shaving your head and entering a celibacy-only monastery (although i'm sure Carmen would be very disappointed, as would I lol...but I'd still support ya). In my eyes, you could do no wrong!

and a question: what did you think of the movie Requiem for a Dream? It's one of my personal favorites, and I'd like to know your opinion

Posted by: blondimofo at June 24, 2004 08:33 PM

Old 6767.com content can be found at http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.6767.com (not sure about photos/images).

Posted by: omit at June 24, 2004 09:38 PM

You are a brilliant guitarist and I have bought every cd of yours I ever found in a record store, some I liked (Strays, Deconstruction), some I loathed (One Hot Minute, Trust No One), but I think you have a unique and intriguing musical voice and so I am very Excited to hear what this project sounds like. One question though, whatever happened to Spread? I kept hearing that it was coming out and then it never materialized. Has it been released?? If so, where can I get it?

Posted by: Slowhand at June 24, 2004 09:51 PM