« ...And More Stuff | Main | Jay-Z & BET »

June 28, 2004

Active and Musical

Last week I started mixing the new BANYAN c.d. with Brian Virtue. He has a great ear for the music and he gives the sound a fresh coat of paint. I have had the pleasure of working with Brian before, so I trust him with the controls and the direction of the final touches. It is very exciting to finish the third c.d. for BANYAN, now I can start another one.
Last weekend I was working with an artist currently known as "Church". We did a session on Sunday at Dave Jerden's studio. I had a pounding afternoon. The music was a cross between Ministry and Big Black. It was a loud and proud day of power! I will update on any release date.
I am also getting ready to start a record with producer Ross Robinson. It is going to be an interesting session, with a lot of freedom with the drum parts.I have been wanting to work with Ross for a while, and the phone rang. It was time to get busy. Afternoons and evenings with my fellas, Dave,Chris and Steve. And mornings with Ross. An active and musical July 2004 makes me smile and keeps me happy.

News from the front:
HELLRIDE show at 14 Below on July 23
PERKINS and DiStefano show in Seattle July 30
BANYAN show at 14 Below on August 7
BANYAN in Park City August 12
BANYAN in Salt Lake City August 13
BANYAN in Denver August 14
BANYAN in Steamboat Colo. August 15

I saw Fahrenheit 9/11. If you have the time, check it out.

Perk

June 28, 2004 10:59 PM

Comments

Thanks, Perk, for keeping us updated here. I really can't thank you & Dave enough for the good times. I actually wanted to ask the both of you this- I am actually a music journalist (a good one I swear haha I do a lot of q&a stuff- i'd love to interview you guys both by the way, anyway) just wondering, what kinds of questions do you think musicians like to be asked most? I typically ask about the current project/tour/disc, collaborate process, live vs. recording...but i'm really curious to hear what you say. i'm sure you all get asked the same crap everytime, so let me know if you have any advice!

Also, funny Jane's anecdote. I sadly admit the following & please don't think any less of me haha ok, so last summer (i'm orig from NY & just moved to LA) i worked for showtime & knew you'd be on letterman, so i went to have you sign my copy of spin with jane's on the cover. i am so not an autograph hound but dave was def. plastered on my walls in 7th-8th grade (you're still there dude- my room at home hasn't changed since like 97- pumpkins, rhcp, etc ha) so i knew if i didn't seize the day, the 13 yr old version of me would never, ever forgive me and would come back to haunt me someday :) nevertheless, i did meet dave, at least & got the mag signed :) yay hehe anyway, i am going to hide in a corner in shame for admitting this haha

still love you guys, best of luck with everything.

Ellen

Posted by: Ellen at June 28, 2004 11:37 PM

Thanks for the update, it truly is exciting to hear what you guys are up to.

How about Banyan coming to the UK?

(I never was a drummer, but I've always tapped along, and am even going to attempt to put some djembi on my new demo!)

Oh and thank you for "Chip Away" :)

Posted by: RecklessPrincess at June 29, 2004 01:19 AM

when is gonna appear your new band name?
are you working on it?

thanks,

good luck from Poland.

ps. Perk - don't forget 'bout your Polish roots :)

Posted by: Obviuos at June 29, 2004 01:40 AM

Hello to Stephen and Dave (whichever one of you read this - if not both) - firstly I would like to thank you both for the inspirational music you have created as part of Janes Addiction and with your respective side projects - Your solo album particularly blew me away, Dave. I think its a shame Janes Addiction ended this way and while every side has a story to tell, It's sad because it takes the spirit away from what we are left with in the end - the music.

This is a question more for Mr. Perkins, although Dave if you could help me out with an answer I would appreciate it. I read a previous post where someone said Stephen Perkins might be partaking in a side project with Taylor Hawkins with the Foo Fighters. Just wondering, when did this idea come about, and how far have the band progressed (i.e writing songs? jamming? recording), or is it still an idea? Also, have you guys heard any new music lately that you could recommend, or any old records youve rediscovered. Thanks alot.

Posted by: Ben at June 29, 2004 02:38 AM

Hey guys!

Have any of you considered recording with Mark Tremonti from Creed/Alter Bride. I mean, Dave, your my favourite guitarist ever, and he's also a great guitarist. That would be so cool!!!

Love you guys!

Shane

Posted by: Shane at June 29, 2004 02:42 AM

Hey you guys. I was sitting there speechless last night when i saw that DAVE FUCKING NAVARRO answered MY question. Unbelievable, dude!

I can't really believe that you guys do all this stuff, for the fans. And people say you have the real rockstar attitude going on. HA!

I want to say that it made me sad to hear about Jane's, but Camp Freddy, TNO, and all that really makes up for it. Thank you all, Dave, Stephen, Chris, all of you!

Posted by: Christian at June 29, 2004 03:42 AM

Hey, PERK!

Thanks a lot for the update! I can´t wait to hear your new stuff! I wish you´d come to play in South America, man. Ever considered that? I know you´d have a blast down here!

DAVE,

I have a few drug related questions that have been on my mind for a few years. Since you´ve always talked so openly about this issue I thought I´d ask them... I hope none of them bothers you, really, but if any fo them do, please forgive me. I promise you I´ll stick to music, sex and spirituality from now on if that´s the case.

Ok. Here they go...

1) When was your first experience with smack and how old were you? Were you aware of the danger in doing it? Or maybe you just didn´t care at the time?

2) Although there have been several accounts of your drug use over the years, I have never seen a picture of you in which you didn´t look lean and muscular, especially since the early 90´s. My question is: is it possible to be strung out and still make regular visits to the gym?? That has always baffled me!

3) If you weren´t at the gym, what did you do when you were high on smack? Just vegged out? I´m asking that cos I know a few peeps who have done this drug and they´ve told me there´s isn´t much you can do (or want to do) while you´re on it. One of them told me smack "gives you a feeling like if all your problems were solved...or just didn´t matter anymore" (if that´s true I can easily understand how addictive heroin is). Another guy said it gave him a feeling of well being that was just way beyond anything else - a well being that simply just doesn´t exist in "regular" life (kinda like "chemical bliss" or something). How would you compare your own experiences with this drug to these accounts? Any truth in them?

Again, thank so much for sharing your experiences with us and taking the time to interact. That really means a lot to your fans. It does mean a great deal to me. And once more forgive me if any of these questions bother you, they have just been on my mind for so long that I thought that now that you are willing to interact with us I might as well ask them and get it out of my system for good!

as usual,
love, love, love, love, love...
from
Luiz.

Posted by: Luiz at June 29, 2004 04:13 AM

what's Farenheit 9/11? A movie or something? anyway, sounds like you're having fun. (:

Posted by: Soph at June 29, 2004 04:47 AM

Steve, I have one small request. Please go to sharing the groove.com and post the orlando hard rock live show you guy's did last december. I'm totally behind you're new projects and I am so happy for you and cindy(she's hot dude!!!!!!)You can even do it on the low so people won't bug you for more shows,but please you've got the key's to the vault I need a fix. Come on I swear I'll pay you back. Much love and resect, J

Posted by: j at June 29, 2004 05:31 AM

Steve, one more question, I seem to remember the artwork one the back cover of the second banyan cd was a painting by cindy. My wife is an artist and she love's it. Does she have more artwork and does she plan on showing any?

Posted by: j at June 29, 2004 05:47 AM

Hey guys, some of the comments on this site are becoming really nasty. It sounds like Janes members and fans alike still have open wounds on the demise of the band. Can't you stop these people posting to save us all some pain?

Posted by: Latex Queen at June 29, 2004 06:14 AM

Thanks for the update Steve! Please always keep us informed on your projects, can't wait for the new Banyan. And please come do some Banyan/Hellride/whatever shows on the east coast.

And yes, If you ever wanted to release cd's or video of some live Jane's... I think we'd all be more than happy.

Posted by: Drumgalante at June 29, 2004 06:23 AM

Ay Papi, Mi gusta Dave Navarro.....Comer mi chocha porfavor???????? Ti amo mucho Papi...

Posted by: ceechica at June 29, 2004 06:29 AM

Hi Steve,
I'm sad I can't go to your show easily because I'm not in US. I wish your band will come my country, JP.

Your fan, YP

Posted by: YP at June 29, 2004 06:48 AM

Hey, Latex Queen

About the insane amount of crap some peeps have been posting... The best course of action I thing is to just let them utter their nonsensical drivel, cos it just shows everyone what complete retards they are.

I´m sure they get no reaction from Dave whatsoever. Deleting those comments would probably be a waste of energy, he would have to press the "DEL" key! LOL! Those assholes ain´t worth it! ;O)

peace!
Luiz.

Posted by: Luiz at June 29, 2004 06:52 AM

I'm looking forward to see you again.
Can I see you again?
I wanna see you again.

Lots of love & kisses
Yoko

Posted by: Yoko at June 29, 2004 07:17 AM

Luiz

You are so right. Its just heartbreaking to read all this whilst trying to keep up to date on what Dave/Steven/Chris are doing. I loved Janes like no other and I love each band member individually so see the bitchin going on just kinda makes it worse :(

Posted by: Latex Queen at June 29, 2004 07:40 AM

Hey Dave!

Im a girl from downunder and I just wanted to pay my upmost respect to you as a human being. I know this is more of a musiclly based journal but i really had to say i think your one of the most amazing musicians out there at the moment. It was so awesome to see yourself and Carmen as the people you are in the Hollywood limelight and forgive the phrase, keep it real.
You guys are so wonderful and have given me so much hope for the future in my own life. Thankyou and please keep it up.

Luv you guys!

Posted by: Bonnie at June 29, 2004 08:30 AM

Hi stephen man as everyone says its toooo cool u guys take time for the fans.

ANywhom have u guys ever considered hooking up with john mayer?What! john mayer!...yeah i know what in the world are you thinking.

Why wouldn't you, imagine the possibilities....i can just picture this mind blowing band.

Ha doesnt hurt to dream.

*dreamer of the dream*<

Posted by: Fabian Lopez at June 29, 2004 09:15 AM

Keep the music flowing!
Much love,
Nora

Posted by: Nora at June 29, 2004 09:32 AM

hey stephen, when are you going to smoke me out?

I'm still waiting for the call

Posted by: 420 at June 29, 2004 10:43 AM

14 Below in Santa Monica Aug 7th? I will try my best to be there and have a listen.
I'm seeing John Frusciante at the Knitting Factory on the 5th, and a Banyan show to follow up would be great.

Hope everyone has a good week!

mortisha

Posted by: mortisha8 at June 29, 2004 11:02 AM

Perk

In relation to my previous post and "Chip away" I thought I'd tell you a little bit about why it means so much to me...

Near to where I live is Lyme Regis, which has a famous Cobb, strewn with about half a dozen big black floor mounted litter bins. My fondest memories of hanging out in Lyme as teens are when we used to take a bin each (they're quite well spaced out) and recreate the drumming off of Chip away...and go a bit berserk... the sound would echo right out into the bay, and was truly wonderful.

Sorry for that, but I felt the need to share, as it still makes me smile.

RP
x

Posted by: RecklessPrincess at June 29, 2004 11:18 AM

Chip away is a great song...brings me back...

Posted by: Nora at June 29, 2004 11:23 AM

Hey Dave and Steve, great to see you're up to so much and keeping busy. I can't wait to here all this new stuff you're working on.

This question is for both Mr Perkins and Mr Navarro, what is the new music you're coming up with sounding like? What kind of influences and stuff seem to be appearing in your current music, and what kinda stuff are you listening to at the moment?

You guys rock, and I loved your Jane's show on Halloween at Brixton Academy last year.

Posted by: GaZZwa at June 29, 2004 12:20 PM

Plz come to the UK guys :(

What ya'll listening to at the moment?

Posted by: Will at June 29, 2004 12:21 PM

hey perk..what artist(s) in particular are you eager to work with? who has been your favorite so far??

Posted by: Seattle at June 29, 2004 12:39 PM

dave i just love your hair, ive been told mine is quite likes yours. whats your fave make-up/product? you always look so great!

Posted by: Ibby at June 29, 2004 02:55 PM

Hey guys,
I just want to give my support out to you guys, y'know? I mean, I loved Jane's Addiction, I loved it to bits, I'm sure, and when I heard the rumours that you had broken up I disregarded them as exactly that: rumours. But then I read it here (cus I'm so out of touch) and it was like some awesome blow. I think I sat in stunned silence for more than twenty minutes.
Good luck, guys, with all the new projects and bands going on, yeah? I hope they all work out for you, even if I am a little sorry to see Jane's disappear. And I think it's fucking fantastic what you're all doing here, keeping in touch and all that; make's it a lot more believable when you hear it first hand.
We all have our memories, be sure to treasure yours as close to your hearts as you can, because this must have been something awesome for you.

Embo
x x x

Posted by: Embo at June 29, 2004 03:27 PM

Just watched you on the BET Awards. Too bad Kid Rock messed up the lyrics a little bit. Must have been some miscommunication between him and Jay-Z. ?uestlove is one of my favorite drummers. How is he to work with? Why don't you think that more hip-hop groups use a live band like the Roots? It would sound more like a concert instead of a replaying of a CD.

Thanks,
Mike from NYC

Posted by: Mike at June 29, 2004 06:01 PM

Dave...........Damn baby we couldn't even hear you, they shoulda turned kid rock down and turned u up for real, you looked hot papi, I see you had our favorite prs and the lv strap....thank you. Damn they didn't even let you get down baby, they let kid rock's ass, ain't nobody wanna hear is ass,lol. we wanted to hear you. They didn't even let Sheila E. get down, that shits crazy...hey you looked like u had a blast thou..that's what matters........too bad we couldn't hear you thou. It was good to see you do your thing papi.....Take care and God Bless..

Love, Colleen n' Angel

Posted by: Colleen n Angel at June 29, 2004 06:06 PM

whoa, dave... what happened at the BET Awards?

paperdove

Posted by: paperdove at June 29, 2004 06:19 PM

Aw, man. Sounds like I missed the BET awards! Hopefully it will get posted somewhere out there on the WWW. I'll keep my eyes open for it. I'm sure you were fantastic, Dave!

Posted by: Denise at June 29, 2004 06:27 PM