« From Stephen Perkins | Main | State of the Union »

June 21, 2004

A Quick One

dave_spread_iconJust a few quick answers, as you are all too kind.

Gauges: The answer is I don't know what gauge they are, I used to have a really heavy set but it made jogging impossible!

E-mail: We are setting one up that all of us can access soon. I know the site is short of stuff right now, please be patient as we are doing our best to add content. Thanx to Steve Isaacs, we are up and running, without his help, we'd still be, "The specified server could not be found". I forgot all that self-taught HTML from back in the day, but it is slowly coming back to me. The last time I was computer obsessive was back in the 9.something or other days. (Mac Talk here) I'm still getting a handle on this whole OSX trip.

Effects and Strap: My effects live are pretty simple. Marshall JCM 900 head, Boss Digital Delays, Boss Chorus, Dunlop Cry Baby and the old white PRS as my front running guitar. The LV strap, however, was a custom job. I'm glad you liked it. I didn't even think anyone would notice but me.

Hip Hop Recording: I actually just did a session with a Canadian Hip Hop group called Dead Celebrity Status. It was a great time. Also there is a recording of LL Cool J and me, Chad and Flea on the Private Parts soundtrack. Other than that, my only experiences with Hip Hop have been live with Cypress, Puffy and some others I can't remember.

Mixolidian Mode: Uh... sure... I meant to do that. What does that mean again?

The Other Big Question: Look for a State of the Union address tomorrow or the next day right here on 6767.

Dave

June 21, 2004 11:45 PM

Comments

I loved the blue paul reed smith, are you going to be using that on the new project ?

Posted by: Gary at June 22, 2004 01:38 AM

what happened to your purple one aswell, has it fallen out of favor

Posted by: OLI at June 22, 2004 02:49 AM

being new to this 6767 thing(was never part of it way back)im just finding it exciting to see this as it developes.Call me a late bloomer i guess,lol.Im not big into the piercings,but am curious,how many tats are u up to now?

Posted by: Steph at June 22, 2004 02:51 AM

Dave you rule!!!

Posted by: Shane at June 22, 2004 03:30 AM

Dave you do indeed RULE!

to have you answering stuff on the net like this on an almost daily basis is like a dream come true...

man, you´re the coolest!

Posted by: Luiz at June 22, 2004 05:47 AM

For the love of all that is holy, please kiss and make up with Perry so that we can have a new Janes CD soon. I'm glad you are finding new outlets for your music but lets not forget the one that brought you here. At least let us know what is happening.....

Posted by: hoakey at June 22, 2004 06:43 AM

Dave, This is scary stuff, I assume the State of the Union is Jane's related. Jane's were such a big part of my life in the late 80s/early 90s that I cried at Brixton Academy in '92 thinking I would never ever see you all play together again. It was fantastic when you guys played the UK last year and I got to see Janes three more times. It breaks my heart to think it is all over - Again!

I hope you all do well in your new projects but could you promise two things?

1. Don't forget you have UK fans too (come see us soon)

2. Maybe one day we might get to see Janes again?

Posted by: UK fan at June 22, 2004 07:23 AM

Self-taught HTML? I gave up on that once I realised all the fun stuff was way too complicated... and forgive me for probably being disgustingly out of touch with the world buy Cypress = Cypress Hill? They're still around? God, I remember them! Although I don't know why because I was ... not even ten last time I heard of them and I barely remember what I did last year let alone at least five years ago... heh. Sounds pretty cool though.

Posted by: Soph at June 22, 2004 07:26 AM

For the love of all that is holy, please kiss and make up with Perry so that we can have a new Janes CD soon. I'm glad you are finding new outlets for your music but let's not forget the one that brought you here. At least let us know what is happening.....

That's what i wanted to say. I'm from Poland. Me and my wife are huge Jane's fans. Seen you twice - in Berlin and Paris last year. Please make it possible see you more and more. Don't forget you've got fans in Poland!

Posted by: Obvious at June 22, 2004 07:46 AM

State of the Union.. more than likely Jane's related..

I would honestly like to see this new project it sounds interesting as much I enjoy Jane's I would love to see where creativity leads these guys..

Posted by: Jesse at June 22, 2004 08:14 AM

Yeah i agree i really want to hear this new music! Have you actually recorded anything yet or are you still writing ?

Posted by: Georgina at June 22, 2004 08:36 AM

JUANA'S ADDIC'CION!

Posted by: perry4prez at June 22, 2004 08:44 AM

To know what you know,
And know what you don’t know,
Are the characteristics of one who knows.

Posted by: andreq at June 22, 2004 09:04 AM

Cool, email would be awesome.:-) No hurry, I know how OSX goes (still getting used to it here too) Supposded it's easier...not for me, but maybe time will tell.:-)

Posted by: Caitlin at June 22, 2004 09:47 AM

Hey Dave, just wanted to say hi and that you are a guitar God! I was at the last show that Jane's Addiction played here in Houston and it was great, you were awesome. I know you hear it all the time and a ton of people are saying it, but Jane's Addiction is who you are and you need to get back to your roots. I completely understand everyone wanting to take some time apart to do the family thing, I am sure that you and Carmen are wanting to start a family and Perry has his 3rd on the way, but that should not hold you back from making a new album and touring again. You seem so cool and down to earth, like Everybody's Friend. Thanks for all of your great music, and not going away. I enjoy seeing you everywhere, whether it be on MTV or in my US Weekly, it is always good to see you.

Posted by: Idiots in Zen at June 22, 2004 10:31 AM

I'm so glad to see 6767.com up again, but it just isn't quite the same without all the hidden "goodies". Give the public what they want! The return of DaveGames.

Posted by: Natasha at June 22, 2004 11:03 AM

dave/perk...if the below post is true I'm ashamed!
Strays was great..Give us another one and a tour!!!
People close to Dave and Perk have been telling them to ditch Perry. They've been telling them that Perry is the reason for everything that has ever gone wrong with Jane's, and that it's time to get a new singer. They've also been blaming his wife.

That's what happened.

Don't believe any other lies about side projects or friends hanging out.

The band has stabbed Perry in the back and ditched him.

I feel terribly for him. I feel that Perry is/was the true voice of a generation. Not Cobain. And his little band of wannabe rock stars that he brought with him to the top have turned their backs on him, just as he tries to start bringing Jane's back to what it should have been all along.

They needed stadiums and festivals and anything else that would get them on MTV.

Perry was trying to bring it back to the clubs.

Perk and Dave (and maybe even Perry, but those two I'm a firsthand witness) are surrounded by idiots with no real understanding of the bands legacy, and why it's owed mostly to Perry.

It's the saddest era ever for this band.

Posted by: bren at June 22, 2004 11:59 AM

Sorry to hear about Lollapalooza having to be cancelled, that's a fucking shame. Even though it doesn't visit ye olde England the concept of the festival seems way more interesting than Reading and V over here. Perry should bring it over here sometime. If you've got enough time on the meter in your internet cafe check out Father Paranoia ( http://www.fatherparanoia.com ) . We're working our arses off at the moment so hopefully we'll be able to get some festival slots next year... We'll see how it goes...

Posted by: Matt at June 22, 2004 12:00 PM

It's great to see that you read our comments. Thank you for answering my Hip Hop question. Don't forget that you performed with Christina Aguilera on the VMA's.
I loved your album TRUST NO ONE, will there be a follow-up to it? do you ever call CARMEN by her real name (TARA)? In the movie FLOUNDERING, how was it to work with Billy Bob Thornton, John Cusak & Steve Buscemi? just askin'.

Mike

Posted by: Mike at June 22, 2004 12:00 PM

I listen to your Deconstruction cd everyday. By the way, that is by far the best playing I think you've ever done. I've followed you almost your entire carrer. I understand you're happy now with the wife and things are good. So becuase things are good in your life and you're off drugs, does that mean you lost your creativity? And do all of us a favor, please quit whoring yourself out. You're way too good for that. Oh, and cut off the damn goatee man. This all comes from someone, who at one time, would've done anything just to shake your hand and say thanks for all the beautiful music. Don't forget the fans you've had from the beginning.

I love you,

Your Past

Posted by: Your past at June 22, 2004 01:01 PM

dave,
maybe the old alphabet can be accessed on here? look around, maybe some of the stuff will ring a bell.

-andy

Posted by: andrew at June 22, 2004 01:48 PM

ok so im in love with a girl named clair and where both your biggest fans, we have everything (including deconstruction, that cd is WAY to hard to find!) and i was wondering if you could write her like a 30 second song or something. PLEASE!!!!!!!!!! id make you cookies with your face on them, but im not the greatest cook.

Posted by: ken at June 22, 2004 01:51 PM

o yeah i forgot to say i love the radio show. and is it true that indie 103.1 is owned by clear channel?

Posted by: ken at June 22, 2004 01:52 PM

To Bren & The Naysayers:

I don't know where you have been getting your facts or rumors regarding the band, but I have to say a lot of them are way off base. The things that you so fervently write are not valid. I understand that the state of where things may lie with Jane's is not an appealing situation for many of us fans, but the people you are pointing fingers at are not to blame.

Zero

Posted by: Zero at June 22, 2004 04:52 PM

Please, DO grow a gigantic goatee...better yet, a beard, ZZ TOP style...

And also play music with whoever you wanna play...

and change your sex if you want to.

do whatever makes YOU happy.

man, I don´t give a fuck about most of the "issues" the "die hard" fans have raised here! I will always love you for the great music you have already given me. And I´m pretty sure you will deliver even more in the future - so I´m not worried at all.

why do so many of your so called fans have to judge you? and why do they want you to change your choices in life? Your style? you goatee, for crissakes? Those things baffle me, really...

but you being an artist I suppose you´re all about freedom... the kind of freedom most of us don´t have in all levels of our lives. Creative freedom. Freedom of sel-expression. So I´m happy to see you just follow your inspiration, your instincts...your heart...And do whatever the fuck makes you happy.

So Dave, I´m not gonna be like someone who said you should do what you alreday did 15 years ago or cut your goatee, or whatever... no, man. Instead I´m gonna say: Dave, please SURPRISE ME. I don´t know what you´re gonna do next. I don´t know what you´re gonna play, what style...with what musician? And what are you gonna wear? I don´t know. Ain´t that great? Yeah. Keep it interesting. SURPRISE US!! And above all, Dave, please: take good care of yourself and be a very HAPPY MAN. That´s the only way I "demand" to see you from now on. The rest is all rubbish.

Love from,
Luiz.

Posted by: Luiz at June 22, 2004 05:42 PM

the post about a song for clair, from andrew, astroman220@yahoo.com is actuly me. i dont know what got messed up.

Posted by: ken at June 22, 2004 06:07 PM

I totally agree with the dude who said Dave should just do what he wants...I don't care what he does; it's his life and I'll support ANY decision he makes as long as it's one that makes him happy! cause you know what? he totally rocks and, in my book, can do no wrong

Posted by: blondimofo at June 22, 2004 06:24 PM

Yo Dave :)
Pls tell Chris to support my "Jane's Addiction Bass Tabs" website... www.geocities.com/janes_tabs

Yeah! something like "wow, what a fucking great bass tabs website!!" yeah

Take it easy on the site, it's going to be great. And this "communication" board is beyond GREAT.

Thanx 4 answering the question.
Peace

Larry
da MoFo

Posted by: Larry B. at June 22, 2004 07:42 PM

Hey -
I'm a little late in the game in welcoming you back... but... welcome back!! It's so exciting to be able to interact with you.

I have been a fan of you, your music and even your writing for a long time now, and I want you to know that you have inspired me to no end throughout the years.

I'm so glad that you've found love with Carmen/Tara, who seems very sweet and down-to-earth; and that you're in a good place in your life and career. And I'm glad you're finally getting the exposure and recognition that you deserve. The public may not agree with every choice you make, but I respect your right to do whatever makes you happy.

That's about it for now; it's been a long day and my brain has shut itself off. But take care and be well!

Love,
-Denise

Posted by: Denise at June 22, 2004 08:10 PM

Dave
I also love your work on Deconstruction. such an awesome span of creativity. thanks for everthing so far, looking forward to your future stuff w/ Perk and Chaney.
cheers,